On Wednedsay we drove 23 miles up-river to the roman town of Trier, said by some to be the oldest town in Germany. This is the view from the Konrad-Adenauer bridge, by the stellplatz. The motorhomes can just be seen through the trees on the left. The Roman bridge is in the distance crossing the Moselle.
This is the roman bridge, ‘Romerbrucke’ which leads to the old town. It is about a km from the Stellplatz and a good landmark.
At one time Trier was the Roman administrative centre for all of Western Europe and the Porta Nigra or black gate formed part of the city walls. Built between 160 and 200 AD it gained its name in the middle ages from fungal discolouration of the solid chunks of white limestone from which it was built. It was originally constructed using metal hoops to bind the limestone…no mortar. The metal has long since been purloined by metal thieves. The stone of the gate has only been preserved from recycling into other buildings over the centuries by its use as a church from about 1035.
Extensive carvings cover the inside of the gate.
Trier Cathedral (Dom) can be seen from the gate.
Stone cutters’ marks cover the stones.
After Trier was ransacked by the vikings in 882, the market was moved from the river to its current position in the centre of the old city. A cross was erected here in 985 to commemorate the event, by the Bishop of Trier. The original column is now in the city museum.
The Haupt Market, or market place is surrounded by beautiful old buildings.
There has been a fountain here in the market square since the 16th century.
The four virtues surround St Peter’s column. These two appear to be Prudence and Moderation…possibly not a good choice for company for a night out on the town.
It is spargel season…we bought some of this lovely fat white asparagus for supper.
St Georges Fountain in Corn Market
We stopped for a glass of wine in the Corn Market.
These two excellent Bulgarian musicians entertained us while we sipped Riesling in the Corn Market.
There has been a church here since Roman times.
This is the throne room of the Emperor Constantine, 200 feet long and 100 feet high, it is the largest intact Roman structure outside of Rome.
Just next to the Basilica is the stunning rococo Trier Palace, also known as the Elector’s palace. Construction of the palace started in 1615.
Emperor Constantine started this massive pool/sauna/bath complex in the fourth century. Political events in the east distracted him and he left Trier in AD 316; the building was never completed.
There is a labtyrinth of tunnels and service rooms under the pool complex. There were multiple hypocausts….early underfloor heating..to keep it all warm.
This abbey church, situated to the north of the old city, close to the Stellplatz, was built in the 10/12 century.
The amphitheatre is just to the east of the old city; it would have been directly in line with the forum and continuous with the city walls. It dates from the 1st century AD and was one of the first major projects after Augustus founded the city in 15 BC.
Slavegirl leaving the amphitheatre by the citizens entrance.
Gladiator with two Lions. They are fiercer than they look.
He was born here in 1818
After a couple of days we moved on from Trier. We plan to spend a week or so moving slowly across northern France towards Calais where we will catch the chunnel train back.